|  Login

How to Apply
Upward Bound


The Upward Bound enrollment process is highly selective. Program participants are expected to display a mature and positive demeanor. Each participant will be held accountable for maintaining a positive, productive, and respectful attitude and behavior.

To qualify, you must:
  • Be enrolled in the 9th or 10th grade
  • Have a GPA of at least a 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
  • Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
  • Meet federal income guidelines
  • Be a first-generation college student
  • Enroll in the Indiana Core 40 curriculum in high school
  • Complete the Upward Bound application process
  • Have a strong desire to attend college
  • Be enrolled in one of the following high schools:
    • Broad Ripple
    • Arsenal Technical
    • Arlington
    • Northwest
    • Warren Central
    • Emmerich Manual
    • Thomas Carr Howe


September–November: Applications accepted
November–December: Interviews
December–January: Acceptance letters sent
January: New student orientation

Application Instructions

  1. Please print in ink or type your response. Leave nothing blank.
  2. Please take all recommendation forms to your counselor and your appropriate teachers. Turn in your completed application to your high school guidance counselor. He or she will forward the form to the Upward Bound office on your behalf.
  3. After all application materials are received, someone from the Upward Bound office will contact you to arrange an interview with both you and your parent or guardian. The interview will allow the Upward Bound staff to verify information provided in the application, as well as provide an opportunity for parents and students to gain further insight into program expectations and activities.
  4. When scheduling the interview, parents will be asked to bring proof of your family's income and proof of the student's citizenship. Students will not be admitted until all paperwork has been turned in. The following are acceptable forms of documentation of income:
    1. A signed copy of your family's most current federal tax forms (e.g., Forms 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040PC)
    2. Proof of a recent eligibility letter from a caseworker or public assistance agency that verifies the family's level of income or assistance
    3. A recent Social Security or veteran's benefit award letter
  5. For proof of citizenship or residency, students must bring in one of the following combinations of information:
    1. A birth certificate and Social Security card
    2. A permanent residence card and Social Security card